Saturday, March 22, 2008

Le Sueur Pea Salad


Last Sunday my friend Becky told me that while attempting to feed her 10 month old some Le Sueur Peas, she herself had eaten almost two jars, practically straight out of the can, without even heating them. I love Le Sueur Peas, but without heating them? Eeeks. Imagine my surprise when my sister, Sara, brought up cold LeSueur Peas only days after Becky had made her confession. Is God telling me something about cold peas?
First let me say, not all canned peas are created equal. The only canned peas I eat are Le Sueur Peas. In fact, Le Sueur Peas are so good that Paula Deen's Green Pea recipe from her Celebrates! cookbook consists of two cans of Le Sueur Peas and a half stick of butter. That's it. Right there on page 70. The cookbook retails for $26.00 and the best pea recipe she can come up with is a can of Le Sueur Peas. So if you think you don't like green peas, try Le Sueur Peas.

Now back to our cold peas. How timely this all came about the week before Easter because the cold pea recipe Sara shared with me contains something we have plenty of this time of year. What's oval and hard-boiled and is hidden on Easter morning? Easter eggs.

Cold Le Sueur Pea & Easter Egg Salad
Courtesy of Sara (adapted from Paula Deen)

1 can Le Sueur Peas
1 hard boiled egg, chopped
1 T. mayonaisse
1 T. grated onion
Salt & Pepper

Drain the peas very well. Mix all ingredients. Serve at room temperature or cold.


I used two cans of peas and these other fancy ingredients.





And a little grated onion jus.

And there you have it. Not the prettiest picture, but my tummy didn't mind.

4 comments:

ashley said...

This is incredibly ironic. Today for snack time I pulled some peas from the fridge. As I watched Kate devour them my stomach turned at the thought of eating cold peas. Literally this happened less then an hour before reading this blog.

Lesley said...

I'm not a fan of peas...but I want to try this recipe. It looks good.

Lorie said...

I have always made this, with a few exceptions and I have never tried LeSueru Peas. But now I have. Yumm.

I also add some water chestnuts and red pepper and a dash of mustard.

I LOVE cold peas......

Kellys said...

I add chopped pimentos and very small squares of Velveeta cheese. This is how my mom taught me to make it. Yum!! paula