Friday, February 1, 2008

Beef Carnitas

Beef Carnitas (the Non-Latina, Busy Soccer Mom Version)

Beef Chuck Roast
Goya Adobo Seasoning (look on Latin food isle or you could probably use garlic powder, s & p)
1 medium onion, halved
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
2 cups chicken broth
14 oz. can tomatoes
Cilantro (a hand full of fresh or maybe just a teaspoon of dried)
Shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend and some mozzarella)
Sour Cream
Guacamole (I usually make my own, but I highly recommend the brand Wholly Guacamole. Find it in the produce section at Wal-mart. It is actually as good as my homemade version and probably cheaper)
Salsa

1. Season the roast well with Adobo powder. Top, bottom, & sides! Shake it. Shake it. Shake it, Momma.

2. Put first 8 ingredients into crock pot. Turn on low and go about your business.

3. When ready to eat use a strainer to retrieve the chuck roast and shred it into smaller pieces. Also retrieve some tomatoes (dice them up) and some onion slices. Place on a warm flour tortilla, top with cheese, guacamole, sour cream, salsa and more fresh cilantro.

4. Enjoy the easy and filling meal.

My kids loved this. When I told them we were having beef for dinner they made ugly faces, their heads began to spin and high-pitched siren sounds came out their mouths. Then I changed the name from beef to burritos. The terrible noises stopped, but by the looks on their faces they still were not convinced. Then I let them assemble their own (mainly meat and cheese) and hid the tomatoes and onions out of their peripheral vision. Suddenly it was manna from God. My daughter informed me she wanted it for breakfast tomorrow morning only tomorrow she wants it to be flat (i.e.: a quesadilla), with just cheese and pickles. I guess that means she liked the Beef Carnitas. I hope you do too.

No comments: